The United Nations has designated 2011 as International Year of Volunteers + 10. The Arab Thought Foundation has adopted this Initiative as a framework to capitalize on IYV+10, as well as to motivate individuals, organizations, service institutions, schools, universities, governmental agencies, and socially responsible businesses throughout the Arab World to work together in order to strengthen and improve volunteering in the region.
1) Bring together key people in volunteerism in the Arab World to share knowledge, experiences, and needs regarding volunteering in the region.
2) Provide basic training, as well as orientation to other training opportunities available, with the goal of expanding and improving the core of specialists in volunteerism in the Arab World, drawing on Arab cultural traditions and experiences, as well as expertise from within the region and worldwide.
3) Develop effective service programs for elementary, intermediate, and secondary schools, technical schools, and universities that foster a culture of volunteering.
4) Provide funding opportunities for those who would develop major sustainable volunteer development projects in their countries in 2011.
5) Encourage setting positive national policies for volunteers and volunteerism in the region, through providing information (samples and support).
6) Set mechanisms for networking, resources development, information exchange, support and joint cooperation between those who work on enhancing volunteerism in the region, for periods of time exceeding the year 2011.
The collection and evaluation of previous research and the development and implementation of new research on volunteerism across the region.
2) Learning to CARE Institute
A training workshop for educational specialists, to develop “Learning to CARE” teams in different Arab countries to train schools in how to develop effective school service programs.
3) Online Seminars
A series of online seminars to allow interactive networking and support throughout the Initiative period.
4) Collection of Resources
The collection of available resources (books, videos, governmental documents) to support volunteerism in the region.
5) Translation/Adaptation of Resources
The translation into Arabic and cultural adaptation of selected resources.
6) New Resources
The development of new culturally authentic resources including children’s book, videos, and other materials in Arabic language to help support a culture of volunteering in the region.
7) Website and Clearinghouse
The development of an online clearinghouse in Arabic to make resources easily available online.
Research and Studies Center
Copyright 2013 Arab Thought Foundation | Powered By Ethos